How to get Canada PR without IELTS?

Meridean Overseas
Meridean Overseas

Updated On 10 October 2023 & Read Time 8 minutes



Canada, with its diverse culture, strong economy, and high standard of living, is a dream destination for many aspiring immigrants. One of the most common pathways to settling in Canada permanently is through the Express Entry system, which often requires applicants to provide proof of English or French language proficiency through tests like IELTS.


However, there are alternative routes to obtaining PR in Canada without IELTS exam. In this blog, we'll explore these alternative pathways and provide pivotal information to make your Canada immigration dreams a reality. So, let’s start with the blog!


Canada Immigrate Without IELTS

There are many ways to migrate to Canada without IELTS. Do you want to know how? If yes, then let’s explore it below:


Apply With the CELPIP English Proficiency Test

Another English proficiency test, CELPIP (Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program), is available to applicants who wish to migrate to Canada without IELTS and obtain Permanent Resident (PR) status. It is simpler than IELTS, focused on Canadian English, and has a more accessible vocabulary and accent. Like IELTS, it also assesses four skills, i.e., listening, speaking, writing, and reading. However, compared to IELTS, it offers shorter time limits for each component.


Apply With Canada’s LMIA-based Visa

When Canadian firms need help finding competent Canadian workers to fill employment openings, they may hire foreign workers through the LMIA-based visa in Canada. The Canadian government must complete and approve this program's Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). The country uses the LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment) procedure to ensure that hiring a foreign worker won't harm the local employment market.


The LMIA-based visa is a great way to work in Canada without IELTS as it does not demand candidates to take tests for language competency, unlike other visa schemes. Language competence is not a condition for this programme because the employer is required to confirm that the foreign employee has the requisite language abilities for the position.


Apply Under the French-speaking Skilled Worker Stream

French is another official language used in Canada. Therefore, if you speak French well, you can immigrate to Canada without IELTS under the French-Speaking Skilled Worker Programme without taking the IELTS test. This programme does not require IELTS results and is intended to draw French-speaking immigrants to Canada. 


How To Apply for PR in Canada Without IELTS?

The Canadian government has implemented a few immigration programmes to help people get PR in Canada without IELTS. Although IELTS is the most frequently utilised exam for these programmes, alternative choices exist, such as the Canada Language Benchmark(CLB). A person's English language proficiency is measured and evaluated using the CLB to determine their eligibility for Canada PR.


For immigration, jobs in Canada are divided into 5 main skill categories. The National Occupation Classification is explained as follows: 

Skill Type ‘0′: This classification has all the management jobs under it.

Skill Level ‘A’: This type is used to describe the jobs that need a university degree or diploma.

Skill Level ‘B’: This type has under it the technical jobs that need a person to have a college diploma or training before they can be recruited.

Skill Level ‘C’: These jobs require a person to undergo job-specific training.

Skill Level ‘D’: This refers to the labour jobs in Canada that provide on-site training.


Some of the Canadian immigration programmes listed below allow you to apply for permanent residence status without taking the IELTS test.


Federal Skilled Worker Program

If you have several years of work experience in a skilled trade, you may be eligible to apply for Canadian PR through the Federal Skilled Trades Program. This program does not require language tests like IELTS but assesses applicants based on their work experience, job offer (or certificate of qualification), and other factors.


Apart from this, students also need good language skills in English in the form of a test score equivalent to CLB 7 if they are applying for a job of skill type O, A or B. Overall, it is a great way to get without IELTS work visa in Canada.


Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs)

Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) offer an alternative route to get PR in Canada without IELTS. Many provinces have their immigration streams that do not require language proficiency tests like IELTS. Instead, they may assess applicants based on factors, namely education, work experience, and connections to the province. The different types of Canada PNP are:

  • New Brunswick PNP

  • Quebec PNP

  • NT PNP

  • Saskatchewan PNP

  • Nova Scotia PNP

  • British Columbia PNP


  • Newfoundland PNP

  • Manitoba PNP

  • Yukon PNP

  • Ontario PNP

  • Prince Edward Island PNP


Atlantic Immigration Pilot

People with skills, education, and work experience that can boost the Canadian economy are encouraged to apply for permanent residency in Canada. The Atlantic Immigration Pilot programme enables the Atlantic provinces' governments to select immigrants according to the demands of the province's economy.


You may apply through the Atlantic Immigration Pilot if you meet the eligibility requirements and plan to settle permanently in New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Labrador, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island.


Federal Skilled Trade

The Federal Skilled Trades Program is for skilled workers who want to become permanent residents based on being qualified in a skilled trade. If you have Canadian work experience in a job of skill type B, you can easily apply for Federal Skilled Trade.  However, you must have at least 2 years of full-time job experience (or an equivalent amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the five years prior to applying. 


Work Permit in Canada Without IELTS

After completing an undergraduate or graduate-level degree from a Canadian university or college, international students can easily apply for a post-study work permit (PSW). However, to be eligible to apply for a post-study work permit in Canada, you should meet the following requirements:

  • Your age must be at least 18 years old.

  • You should enrol in and complete the degree programme as a full-time student.

  • The duration of your programme must be at least eight months. 

  • The college from where you received your degree should be a recognised educational institution (DLI-listed). 

  • You should have proof from the university that you completed the course and all of the required core subjects. 

  • The permit application can be filed 90 days after the study course's completion. 



Q: How can I get Canada PR without an IELTS score?

A: There are various programs which can help you to get PR in Canada without IELTS, such as the Federal Skilled Worker Program, Provincial Nominee Programs, Atlantic Immigration Pilot, and Federal Skilled Trade.


Q: Who can sponsor an individual in Canada?

A: Any family member, such as a son, daughter, spouse, parents, orphaned nephew or brother or sister, common-law partner, etc., may offer sponsorship for Canada.


Q: What are other alternative tests to IELTS for Canada Immigration?

A: Candidates may take additional language aptitude examinations, such as the CELPIP (Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Programme), which will enable them to enter Canada without taking the IELTS test.



While IELTS is a common requirement for Canadian immigration, alternative pathways exist to obtain a Canadian Permanent Residency without taking the test. Programs like the Federal Skilled Worker Program, Provincial Nominee Programs, Atlantic Immigration Pilot, and Federal Skilled Trade provide options for candidates who may not meet the language proficiency requirements. It's essential to research and choose the pathway that best fits your qualifications and circumstances, and consulting with an immigration expert can significantly assist you in navigating the complexities of the Canadian immigration system. With dedication and the right approach, you can make your dream of becoming a Canadian permanent resident a reality.


So, if you are planning to get a Permanent Residency in canada through an educational journey, we encourage you to speak with our team of expert counsellors at Meridean Overseas Education Consultants (MOEC). If you are unable to travel to our offices, we offer online counselling services via our website. Our dedicated counsellors will provide you with the best guidance regarding your application to study in Canada. Apart from this, our expert counsellors will also offer assistance in the visa process for your successful study abroad journey. Don't hesitate to contact us at or call us at 1800-1230-00011.

blog meet

Get the best study abroad guidance

blog meet

Get the best study abroad guidance

Meridean overseas whatsappChat