Study Visa Canada 2023: Latest IRCC Updates & Process Guide

What are a study permit and a study visa?

There is a difference between a work visa and a work permit which we often tend to misunderstand. While the study visa only allows international students to enter/re-enter Canada as long as it is valid. Whereas the study permit is a document that is issued by IRCC and allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLIs) in Canada. International students need a study permit to study in Canada. However, students must ensure they have all the documents they need before applying for a visa. One should apply for a study permit before moving to study in Canada.

Moreover, one should keep in mind that the study permit is not a visa. It doesn’t let you enter Canada. You may also need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA). If your study permit is approved, a visa is issued with your study permit.

However, there are two visa categories that you might fall under depending upon the co-op program. The two visa categories are: SW-1 Visa and S1 Visa. The distinction between the S- 1 and SW-1 visas is that the S-1 visa is for optional co-op or without a co-op program, SW-1 is for a compulsory co-op program. If you apply for a study permit in Canada, you will receive either the S- 1 or SW- 1 visa, depending upon on Co-op program.

Moreover, if you are planning to study in Canada in the upcoming intake, i.e., September 2023, contact our expert counsellors at any branch of Meridean Overseas Education Consultants (MOEC). You can also take free online counselling sessions through our website. Our expert education counsellors will provide you with the best guidance and support for the admission and visa process. For more information or any queries, you can mail us at application02@meridean.org or call us at our toll-free no. 1800-1230-00011.

Contact MOEC Experts for Study Abroad Guidance!


By using our site, you agree to our use of cookies.